[clug] Travel to LCA2010

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 10 19:47:02 MDT 2009

Michael Still wrote:
> Robert Edwards wrote:
>> Anyone started thinking about travel to LCA2010 (in Wellington, NZ) yet?
>> Any value in trying to organise a group travel booking? When should we
>> start planning such a thing?
>
> Yeah, I've been thinking about it. It seems like flights to Wellington
> are a lot more expensive than those to Auckland, although I am told its
> about a 9 hour drive in between.
>
> Mikal

Could turn it around the other way and do a 3-hour drive Canberra -
Sydney and then fly direct to Wellington... saves about $100 each way
if flying with Qantas. Can group hire a car here in Canberra and drop
it off at Sydney Airport - I have done this a number of times in the
past - a no-brainer. By the time you do check-ins, transfers, waiting
to board, waiting to take-off etc. it doesn't take much more time than
flying to Sydney Airport to catch an international flight.

Of course, that's assuming that the people involved aren't keen on
a touristy drive down through the North Island.

Also, if we're going to drive to Sydney, we could team up with some
SLUGgers and charter a real boat and have a "Geek Cruise" to
Wellington... (I need to get off of this boat theme - I met a guy at
LCA2009 in Hobart, an organiser, who sailed with a small group from
Launceston to Hobart for the conf. and I thought "how cool...").

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.