[clug] Equality (was Announcing: Canberra Google Girl Geek Dinner #3)

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 18:05:49 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Jack Kelly <endgame.dos at gmail.com> wrote:
> -snip-
>
> I don't know what the subscription stats are for this list, but let's
> take your quoted figure of 1.5% for all of FOSS and disingenuously
> apply it to the list. Given that the dinners appear to allow a single
> guest, that's at most 3% of the list that is able to go to such an
> event (also disingenuously assuming that all guests are only drawn
> from the CLUG list). Posting an event where 97% of the people who see
> the invite won't be allowed to go is a pretty nasty thing to do (to my
> mind).

I just had this example dismantled by an off-list reply, because the
situation can be turned around as follows:
- J. Random male (subscribed to list) receives invite, knows female
(not subscribed) who'd like to attend.
- Female goes "sounds good" and goes to GGD, or not.
- J. Random goes as guest, or not.
- Jack fails at logic.

I don't have the statistical know-how to conduct a proper study and
determine what percentage of people are accidentally excluded, so I'll
just retract the example.

(Future reference to that off-list poster: contradicting me in public
is fine. Nothing wrong with being told you're wrong, unless you
willfully continue being wrong afterwards.)

-- Jack