[clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:53:34 MDT 2009

Michael Cohen wrote:
> There is absolutely no basis
> to claim that women are less capable due to biological  differences as
> this has been shown many times to be wrong (in fact some studies find
> females perform better than males in many academic areas including
> maths).
Is there any basis to claim that males are less capable than females
in academic areas? I just don't see how it could cut one way or
another. I'd expect the causes of the difference to be social in
nature.

The problem I see is not that 1.5% figure itself, but the implied
barrier to entry that it might present. I don't think the answer is
trying to draw more females to FOSS, but to make very sure that there
aren't accidental barriers keeping anyone out.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:47 AM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Like Gyms.
> Fernwood does very well offering an 'all women' environment, because
> women aren't put off...
> [Please tell me why that doesn't fail the anti-discrimination test, when
> Men Only Clubs get pilloried]

That puzzles me, too. Turns out that they applied for and got an
exemption: http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/CA256902000FE154/Lookup/anti-discrimination_list/$file/fernwood_decision.pdf
Seems to be something about promoting "equality of opportunity"
instead of straight "equality". The bit about a unisex gym being
converted to a Fernwood franchise and charging all the former male
members fees to transfer their membership is particularly interesting.
A quick browse on Austlii ( http://austlii.edu.au ) doesn't turn up
anything about them being taken to task for it.

Me neither.

-- Jack