[clug] Announcing: Canberra Google Girl Geek Dinner #3

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 07:40:47 MDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Lana Brindley<lanabrindley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Girl Geeks are back at it!
>
> Thinks: Hmm... What a great way to meet nice girl geeks...
>
>> This event also has the usual rule about male attendees. Men are more
>> than welcome, but do need to be accompanied by a girl geek.
>
> Oh.  But you need to bring your own girl geek...
>
> Well, that ain't gonna work...  Catch 22...  again...

Sounds more like a bootstrapping problem to me.

Thought Experiment: take the original post and pipe it through
sed -e 's/male/female/g' -e 's/Men/Women/g' -e 's/girl/guy/g' -e 's/Girl/Guy/g'

Consider the effect of such a post to the list. Would it make the
community feel more inclusive? I conjecture that it would not. What
makes the unaltered version so fundamentally different? It splits the
list along an arbitrary line (<= 1 hops from a girl geek) and excludes
those on one side of it.

(Not that it matters to me: I'll be madly finishing my thesis. The
concept doesn't look logically consistent and I feel compelled to
point it out.)

-- Jack