[clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Sep 10 06:54:46 MDT 2009

Adam Thomas wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au>:
[trim]
>> I actually agree with you. Men and women, as a generalization, do have
>> differences (beyond the obvious) which often make them pick different
>> fields of interest, different roles and different passions. But YMMV.
>
> I don't think its the physicality of the gender differences that
> causes this phenomenon. I believe it is largely due to the way society
> treats the different genders.

I very much disagree, I consider the differences more gender driven
than societal attitude. Much more nature than nurture.

>> What do I want women to bring to FOSS? Same as from anyone else: whatever
>> you enjoy and are good at. Play to your strengths.
>>
>> Do I want more women participating? No I don't. They will if they want
>> and will stay away if they don't. FOSS is not different than any other
>> social situation where equal participation is rarely found.
>
> I don't want to encourage women participating in FOSS more than I want
> encourage men participating in FOSS. I just want more people
> participating in FOSS. I will promote FOSS to whom ever will listen,
> regardless of their physicality or background.

Yes, me too.

> There is still a large number of existing FOSS community members who
> discourage women from joining or continuing to participate in the
> community.

I failed to see these 'large numbers', but then I probably do not go
out enough to see what is going on.

 > I doubt there are many people actively attempting to
> discourage women from participating but more often than not manage to
> do so by accident.  Some handle this well by apologising and moving
> on, others handle it poorly and end up putting more fuel on the fire.
>
> What I want, is for the community to not discourage anyone from
> participating in FOSS. It has been identified that there is a
> significant amount of discouragement felt by women. They are the
> greasy wheel getting the grease. If we can educate those who
> discourage women, hopefully we can also educate those who discourage
> other minorities.

And I still do not see those doing the discouragement.

I want to mention another aspect of the FOSS community that is known but
maybe not highlighted. Some the those male-geek groups are actually
intentionally for men (boys, whatever). This is the equivalent of other
kinds of male bonding activities, and in this context women are excluded,
and rightly so (not all teen-geek groups are like this though). Just the
same as women will want their own girls night out (or whatever women do
for bonding). Some of us may have started in such activities before
moving out into the FOSS world.

One should not confuse this with the general FOSS community which is
gender neutral (even if not equally represented). At times I hear people
refer to such geek/hacker/whatever culture in the same breath as the FOSS
culture; this is wrong.

>> Jessica Fryer wrote:
>>> Well that's thet textbook answer but are you really looking for more of
>>> the
>>> exact same?
>>>
>>> Are there any areas where a woman's influence might reverse a negative
>>> trend, for example?

>> --
>> Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)

cheers