[clug] Re CO2 footprint of Searches: Storm in A Tea Cup or Deep Green Issue?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Sep 10 06:40:50 MDT 2009

On 10/09/2009, at 09:29 , Robert Edwards wrote:

> I'm _guessing_ that what Alex meant was that the printer was drawing
> 24W
> when not printing, but otherwise all warmed up and ready to print, vs.
> powered down with just the standby light on?

No. For me, the printer was drawing 24W when it had been "switched
off" with the little press-button "on/off" switch on the front panel.
When you press that button, it starts warming up (power usage spikes
to about 29W), then sits ready to print at ... 24W consumption. Then
you actually print something and it only uses another Watt for the
duration.

The reading of the printer was done with the Jaycar meter, so the
chances are my anger is entirely misplaced should it turn out that the
Jaycar meter has an accuracy of ±20W :)

> ... I have since modified [the remote control powerboard] and it now
> uses 2W sitting there
> listening for wireless signals, and up to 4W when all the internal
> relays are activated and doesn't get anywhere near as warm.

Ooh.. is that modification something that the average Joe can do
safely, or will the ANU cable testing team throw it out the moment
they look at it?