[clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

Michael James michael at james.st
Wed Sep 9 21:29:39 MDT 2009

On 10/09/2009, at 10:01 AM, Lana Brindley wrote:

> Without in any way wanting to restart the flame fest we had recently
> over the topic of women in Open Source, I did want to share this
> article with the list:
>
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3838186_1/
>    Sexism-Open-Source-Softwares-Dirty-Little-Secret.htm
> (You're going to have to put the 2 halves of that lobng URL back
> together)

> It is an interesting analysis of women involved in FOSS vs other IT,
> and also proposes some things that could be changed in order to foster
> more female involvement. It's a well-written and researched article,
> and I got a lot out of it.

The problem is ongoing despite the statistics sticking out like dogs
balls.

So there is probably something wrong with the approaches taken.

It reminded me of the discussion I had with Alan Holmes
about informal identity authentication in online forums.
How the real kids filtered out the pederasts and policemen
and left them with nobody but each other to chat to.
It was based on nuances of expression and understanding.
eg. would a woman use the phrase I used earlier., "dogs balls".

The problem for FOSS* not so much text based
identity authentication as identity establishment.

Since participation-and-respect-within-the-community
  is the currency that fuels FOSS, maybe the community,
  the (textual) expression of the community, or the
  expressions necessary to maintain identity within the community
  are not accessible or attractive to women?

Someone researching this could do an analysis
  of forums with a high level of female participation
  contrasted to the FOSS and other male dominated** forums.

--
Well theme my emoticons disgusted. What has Linux come to?
Michael James

* eg2: It's exclusive to introduce acronyms without explanation
   Totally Unnecessarily:   FOSS = Free and Open Source Software

** What if FOSS debate is often an alpha-male domination ritual ... ?

PS: I don't feel that is the case on this list, I don't think I'd be
here if it was.