[clug] Re CO2 footprint of Searches: Storm in A Tea Cup or Deep Green Issue?

Michael James michael at james.st
Tue Sep 8 18:02:45 MDT 2009

On 08/09/2009, at 6:42 PM, Wesley Bruce wrote:

> I may not know much about linux but energy is my game.

Google and others are experimenting with data centres
  that are ambiently cooled most of the time.
Up to 80% of the power goes into computers, disks and CPUs.
Traditional air-conditioned centres use more power for cooling.
Air-conditioning keeps the temperature more constant,
  but they are finding the ambient fluctuating failure rates acceptable.

I'd be interested to hear what is happening on this front in Australia
  especially in Canberra, (where we have lovely ambient temperatures).

--
Well theme my emoticons disgusted. What has Linux come to?
Michael James