[clug] Green/Energy Efficient Linux Computer

Grant Baldwin Grant.Baldwin at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 6 22:47:38 MDT 2009

AMD has (had?) a line of processors with all the trimmings aimed at a low
TDP.

The Athlon BE-2300 and BE-2350 (and any predecessors) are dual core AM2
Athlons with all the SSE & virtualization extensions with a reduced
clockspeed aimed at 45 W TDP. Came in at around $100.

Not quite as power friendly as an Atom, Via or Mobile CPU, but still better
than a regular CPU and miles cheaper than anything from Intel with
virtualization extensions enabled.

If you want hardware virtualization, I think that line is going to be the
cheapest and lowest power you'll find.

If software virtualization will do, then it's different question and others
have some good suggestions.