[clug] Green/Energy Efficient Linux Computer

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 05:50:54 MDT 2009

>>> Interesting. Why the caveat around Atom?
>>>
>> Atom CPUs dont provide enough support for virtualisation or sufficient
>> speed.
>
> I have been using an Atom-equipped netbook with the kqemu kernel
> extension and it works OK.

Agree with others that you'd really have to provide more info on how
much speed is enough for your VM. If the needs are only modest I'd
also be interested in your reasons for Green/low power?  It is running
from a solar system? Or do you just want to feel warm and squishy?

If you want medium performance I think you'd be hard pressed to pass
up a laptop with a Core 2 Duo or cousin. For one laptops are designed
with power usage fairly high on the list. For example I have a X61
Core 2 Duo Thinkpad and VM's work very well in it. (generally via
VirtualBox). On top of this you get all the other power saving
benefits of laptops such as speed stepping CPU's, PCI buses and video
cards that can power up and down, low noise, low heat, inbuilt
efficient UPS, ability to power from multiple input voltages etc....

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)