[clug] Green/Energy Efficient Linux Computer

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 6 05:42:36 MDT 2009

Karun Dambiec wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 21:10 +1000, "Mike Carden" <mike.carden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Karun,
>>
>>> The only criteria I have is it cannot use Atom Cpus.
>> Interesting. Why the caveat around Atom?
>>
>> --
>> MC
>
> Atom CPUs dont provide enough support for virtualisation or sufficient
> speed.

I have been using an Atom-equipped netbook with the kqemu kernel
extension and it works OK. I have a 256MB RAM VM running a Debian
Lenny client on a UNR (Jaunty) host with apache, PHP5 and Postgresql.
Host is a 1.6GHz Atom with 2GB RAM and hyperthreading enabled. KVM
won't work on this CPU, but qemu/kqemu work fine.

Can't comment on "sufficient speed" as I don't know anything about
your app...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.