[clug] attempt to access beyond end of device

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Sep 3 00:42:53 MDT 2009

Carlo Hamalainen <carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a 1Tb SATA drive on USB and I see this when trying to copy
> files off the drive:
>
> Sep  3 05:44:30 eeepc kernel: [10946.422618] attempt to access beyond
> end of device
> Sep  3 05:44:30 eeepc kernel: [10946.422634] sdb1: rw=0,
> want=30064771080, limit=1953520002

That limit looks right: enough blocks to make 1Tb.  OTOH, the "want" is for ~
1.5Tb, which is wrong.

[...]

> Is my ext3 partition broken?

I would guess so, yes.

> I wouldn't think so because fsck is happy.

Very strange.  I suggest you take the issue to the ext3 mailing list, where
they can help you diagnose it correctly.

> Or is the drive faulty? How can I test the drive?

Unlikely: Linux was requested a sector that is, indeed, outside the size of
the device, suggesting that it is a FS level fault.

Regards,
        Daniel

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.