[clug] How to connect two Linux boxes? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Wed Sep 2 23:44:54 MDT 2009

Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au wrote:

> I have an Ubuntu box that is not connected to any network.  There is a large dataset (2TB with the promise of more) on another machine that runs Redhat Server.  This second machine has a running network connection and an unused second network card.
>
> I am trying to connect the two machines so I can transfer the large dataset to the Ubuntu machine.

(I'm sure people will scream in disbelief at this)

Depending on the CPU speed in the two machines you might like to look at using rsh instead
of ssh for the transfer. i.e. rsync --rsh=rsh

Since you have a private network you can get away with it.  Make sure you only enable rshd
for as long as it takes to do the transfer.  Given a large amount of data the difference
between rsh and ssh could save you a lot of time.

I think early versions of ssh allowed for encryption to be turned off but I don't think
current versions allow this.

Also...

If you're transferring large files with rsync it's also a good idea to include the
--inplace flag.  This means that a temp file will not be created and partially transferred
files will not be lost in the event of an interrupt.

Regards
Brett
PS: I Loved Eagle Rock!!  (I bet you've never heard that one before ;-))