[clug] How to connect two Linux boxes? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au
Wed Sep 2 22:58:16 MDT 2009

Hal and Jim, et al,

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

I couldn't use mii-tool (suggested by jeff) as it said nothing was in use (??).  However, the basic idea from both (ifconfig) was used, BUT the important bit was to turn off NetworkManager on the Ubuntu box.  That's what I was getting wrong.  With the manager running I could configure as above and the network seemed to be set up but I got errors: 'network unreachable' on a ping.  With the manager off all worked.

Thanks a million!
Ross