[clug] How to connect two Linux boxes? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roppola, Antti - BRS Antti.Roppola at daff.gov.au
Wed Sep 2 22:38:09 MDT 2009

Hi Ross,

Unless you have a switch in between, the cable needs to be a "crossver"
cable.

Bring up the second interface on the Redhat box on a private network IP
address that's not in the same network used by the primary interface
(i.e. if the main interface uses the 10.6.x.x network, use the
192.168.x.x range).
See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918 (section 3)

Bring up the interface on the Ubuntu box on a comaptible IP address.

Make sure that the Redhat box routes traffic for the private network to
the second interface. (i.e. use "route" to add a gateway)

Use protcol of choice to copy your data. Due to the size, I recommend
rsync over ssh so in the event of interuption, you can start where you
left off.

A 100 Mbit network card will probably perform slower than copying your
data via a Firewire hard drive. OTOH, it will (with an rsync script) be
quicker and easier for repeat visits.

Cheers,

Antti