[clug] How to connect two Linux boxes? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au
Wed Sep 2 22:08:12 MDT 2009

Listers,

I have a problem that probably just needs a simple suggestion in the right direction, so I'll ask it here.

I have an Ubuntu box that is not connected to any network.  There is a large dataset (2TB with the promise of more) on another machine that runs Redhat Server.  This second machine has a running network connection and an unused second network card.

I am trying to connect the two machines so I can transfer the large dataset to the Ubuntu machine. I thought that just connecting the two machines with a bit of Cat5 would be enough, but I'm stumped on how to configure both machines to get this working.

Any suggestions for a Networking Newbie?  I use Ubuntu regularly but don't know much about Redhat.

Thanks,
Ross