[clug] Virtual Machine 'farms'?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Oct 15 06:38:15 MDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> What advice can you give me about doing this kind of thing from your own
> virtual machine experiments? Are there any existing tools which make this
> kind of spawn-boot-use-destroy experimentation relatively easy?

I've used a lot of different virtualisation technologies and normally
build some sort of templating system using scripts.  Grab network config
from dhcp and you're all set.

If you're just wanting Linux virtual machines you may want to look at
OpenVZ which produces containers.  The limitations are that they can only
run Linux and they all use the same kernel as the host system.  The
advantage is that it is very efficient.  Similar technologies are
integrated in to Solaris & FreeBSD, among others.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com