[clug] Stories of Microsoft technical meltdown: T-Mobile Sidekick/Danger 'Hiphop', all data lost

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Oct 13 16:32:52 MDT 2009

On 13/10/2009, at 17:44 , steve jenkin wrote:

> My reading is that 'dog fooding' means something very different to
> Microsofties... [screed]

That's what I was getting at: they've taken "eat your own dogfood" and
turned it from a good thing (use your own product to do the parts of
your job you wrote it to do) into a perjorative (take the good stuff
you've gotten from companies you've bought out and turn it into a
dog's breakfast).

For me, "dogfooding" would imply that one is focussing on improving
one's software by using it even when it hurts. As opposed to this NIH-
perverted idea of forcibly removing someone else's intellectual
capital from the company before we have anything to fill the hole.

Thankfully they still produce the Microsoft Ergonomic Natural Keyboard
4000. Best keyboard ever. The good karma from that is starting to run
low though.

Alex