[clug] Slackware Install Talk: The Morning After

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 3 23:35:26 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:20:16AM +1000, Jessica Fryer wrote:

> As for the lack of package management that comes with Slackware... Well
> after seeing a system load up quite nicely withoutt them I'm starting to
> question my assumption that "RPM IS THE BEST" and already hard at work
> reading up on the various advantages offered by deb, rpm and portage.  Any
> suggestions on reading materials would be appreciated!

Slackware does have package management! There are 3 basic utilities: installpkg,
upgradepkg & removepkg. I've used all 3, including upgradepkg of glibc while the
system was runing normally.

The system uses a flat-file database which you can examine in /var/log/packages.
There is also /var/log/removed_packages & /var/log/removed_scripts - in your
case these may be empty or you may not even have them yet as they are used by
remove & upgrade.

There is also pkgtool which provides an interactive menu system to install,
remove, or view software packages, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers ... Duncan.