[clug] Networking slows down to unusable levels until restarted; Fast upon resumption

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 02:07:50 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:36, Christopher Giffard
<christopher.giffard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having an interesting/frustrating networking issue - I'm hoping somebody
> has seen this before, because I'm about to tear my hair out!

I have had the same sort of issue in 8.10 and 9.04 (but not 8.04) with
an e1000 PCIe network card. In my case I see lots of intermittent
dropped packets and erratic ping times. Many things have been
suggested but no luck so far.  For now I have this in cron:

bill:~# crontab -l
# m h  dom mon dow   command

# STUPID NETWORK CARD/UBUNTU!
*/1 * * * * /root/bin/check-and-restart-net.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

bill:~# cat bin/check-and-restart-net.sh
#! /bin/sh

# check if alive
ping -c 1 murdoch.lclust > /dev/null

if [ $? = 0 ]
then
   echo "OK, doing nothing"
else
   echo "Borked, restarting"
   /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
fi

Amusingly once I wrote this script the problem went away but just the
ping is enough to keep things good. strange but I can't be bothered
tracking down why.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)