[clug] ARS: Ubuntu 9.10 boot optimizations: 5 second startup with an SSD

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:30:05 MDT 2009

I'm really interested to see if this succeeds where others have already failed.

Back when I still used Gentoo someone implemented a parallel boot
feature that in theory you could enable by opening up /etc/conf.d/rc
and setting:
RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"

I say in theory because if you ever wanted to start something "weird"
at boot time it would inevitably fail due to a missing dependency
somewhere letting it start before it should do, but only sometimes.

4 or so years on and it seems like the Gentoo parallel boot is
actually stable for parallel booting but not providing much speed
improvement (at least that I've found from anyone who cares to post -
http://repura.livejournal.com/35979.html ).

If Ubuntu can do it in such a way that it works well enough first time
around it may actually be adopted by the masses. If it has any where
near the teething problems that Gentoo's version did I can't see it
taking off at all which would be very disappointing.

Cheers,
Dave

p.s. on the Windows sysadmins thiing I also hate that most don't
bother setting stand by times. My first real job was as a Windows
sysadmin, I can't remember how to do it now but I enabled all machines
where I worked to go in to standby in less than a mornings work, which
was easily justified by the power savings. I'm pretty sure it involved
pointing and clicking at power.cpl and some how storing the settings
in Group Policy.