[clug] More info, please - was Re: Tridge's coffee contraption - photos

Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Mon Nov 30 18:24:43 MST 2009

Hi Hugh,

Some suggestions to make the whole thing cheaper & better:

1. use a USB PIC, or software USB on an Atmel -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dicks/avr/usbtiny/ . This replaces the MAX232 with a
couple of resistors. Since you now have a USB device, the transformer is not
needed for power. You can achieve the zero cross detection with an
optocoupler and a resistor divider network.

2. Add an analog input jack for the thermocouple, eliminating the multimeter
from the equation. Once could always add an LCD/LED display for temperature
readouts at a fraction of the cost of the multimeter.

3. Add another 240V output for direct control of the motor.

Some parts will be salvageable directly from the control of the breadmaker -
it likely already has a triac or relay for driving the motor, and possibly a
thermocouple as well. There may also be an LED display you can use for
temperature readouts.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
skype: alastair_dsilva     msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org