[clug] [OT] Canberra/Australia maker community

Nemo Thorx clug at nemo.house.cx
Thu Nov 26 21:22:27 MST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 02:35:32PM +1100, Adam Thomas did utter:

> There are a few pockets of people who have had similar ideas (myself
> included) but have not made much progress due to the fragmentation and
> (warning:generalisation ahead) insular nature of the communities in
> Canberra.

I think insulated and fragmented communities is a better description of
the problem in bigger cities, where enough people with a common minor
interest can get together to make it work, but then split into more and
more subgroups (to use an on-topic example, I've heard of LUGs where the
RedHat people don't talk to the Debian people, etc).  Canberra is small
enough that CLUG is barely on the "linux" topic as often as not, and is
arguably a fairly broad 'computer and technology enthusiasts'
collective.

Rather, the problem I see in Canberra is that the people interested in
new projects are already spread thin between existing other communities,
so it's hard to find enough people who have the time/commitment to start
a new community to reach community population critical mass. ie, the
relevant people are all diluted across other communities.

Or am I just describing the same thing using a different metaphor?

In terms of 'making' though, I have been thinking about welding up some
home-made 19" racks though of varying heights, for purpose of
entertainment cabinet use, with some notes here:
http://wiki.thorx.net/wiki/RackCabinet

.../Nemo