[clug] Given the recent hardware talk.

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Wed Nov 25 16:24:24 MST 2009

On 26/11/2009, at 08:51 , steve jenkin wrote:

> I'm glad they don't build ships this way.

What makes you think they aren't?

Each new design is better by exposing the flaws in the design or the build process of the previous design. Today's ships have the benefit of several hundred years of learning different ways of doing it wrong. For example, we learned that big ships benefit from having bulkheads so one hole doesn't sink the ship, then the Titanic taught us the bulkheads have to continue well above the waterline.

As Edison said, "we now know a thousand ways to not build a light bulb."

Alex