[clug] X10 automation

Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Mon Nov 23 23:30:53 MST 2009

I'm running X10 at home - don't do it!

It's a 1970s technology and it shows.

In particular:

- no security on powerline or wireless interfaces (malicious light toggling
by your neighbours), I've installed a filter in my powerboard to block the
powerline signals, but wireless is still an issue
- spurious activations and < 100% success rate on activating (receivers
don't necessarily get the signal)
- No confirmation from the receivers (although some of the more expensive
third party units do provide feedback), so you have to dead reckon

The pluses:
- Its cheap

For my next iteration of home automation, I'm rolling my own based on
6LoWPAN (IPV6 UDP over 802.15.4) using the Jennic modules (see my blog).

Having said that, I do sell the X10 gear, so feel free to contact me off
list if you want to go down that path.

Cheers,

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
skype: alastair_dsilva     msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org