[clug] Hack attack on University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Sun Nov 22 19:54:35 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 15:39 +1100, David Howe wrote:
> Any thoughts from clugers about the likely route the hackers took? Would
> this have been overly difficult?

To add to the comments made by Daniel, Paul and Kim:

At a previous job in a secure defence facility many years ago, we were
"locked" out of a SECRET workstation for 2 days. The screensaver had
been activated and we couldn't find the password. None of our "standard"
passwords worked.

Till I suggested - "Out of curiosity, has anyone just tried hitting
enter?" ie a blank password. <pause - tappity>
"Thanks Steve! We're in!"

There's a lesson for all of us here. ;-)

Cheers!
- Steve