[clug] [OT] Remote control powerboard

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:10:04 MST 2009

I bought a switch just like the one you've linked to from one of the
Hardware stores in Belconnen. Most hardware/electrical stores (I've
even seen a couple of supermarkets stocking them) should have
something like that.

I didn't actually use my in line switch in line though.

I had somethign like (excuse ascii art):
          | Junction |
          |    box   |
Plug N ------------------- power board
     E -------------------
     A -------|  |--------
          |   |  |   |
              |  |
              |  |
             Switch

Depending on the switch you should be easily able to block one end and
run both wires out one end of the switch. I think I had to reuse the
earth or the neutral terminator in my switch to avoid cutting/removing
bits of plastic, but from the outside it looks fairly normal. It's
been working for my Mum's lounge room set up for years now.

If you want really simple, there's a Cabac PB80 [0] sitting under my
desk at work right now that I can easily turn on and off with my foot.

Cheers,
Dave

[0] http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/power-surge-protector-8-outlets/