[clug] No xorg, seriously, 1024 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au
Tue Nov 17 14:55:54 MST 2009

I've usually had to struggle getting Ubuntu to reliably set the screen resolution until very recently.  The installation process gets the resolution right, but when I reboot into the installed system it was wrong?!

Anyway, I just modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look something like:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       24-82
        VertRefresh     50-85
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection      "Display"
                Depth   24
                Modes   "1920x1200"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

For your purposes you probably have to add the HorizSync and VertRefresh entries into the Monitor section, and then add the DefaultDepth and 'Subsection "Display"' bits into the Screen section.  You should put appropriate values into the entries, of course.

Not sure if Ubuntu uses X any more, though, as I haven't had to fiddle with the Koala.

HTH,
Ross