[clug] The Go Programming Language

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Wed Nov 11 21:13:37 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 13:57 +1100, jm wrote:
> In case no-one else has brought it before your eyes. Google is now in
> the programming language game with "go" (via
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=934142 ):

I really wanted to hate Go, I wanted to say that it was another case of
Google reinventing the wheel and throwing away years of previous
development just 'coz they're Google and somehow the font of that is
brilliant in computing technology.  But I can't.  Damn.  I've had a good
look around the language and really, it looks like a perfectly
acceptable replacement for truly horrid alternatives like C++.

Sure, there's the occasional case of appearing to differ from C/C++/Java
etc syntax for reasons of contrariness rather than clarity but the
flip-side of that is at least they're points of difference and something
to pique one's interest.  And at a guess, there's someone somewhere
who'd be happy to tell me at length why the Go way is the way it should
have always been.

So, while I can't see what I'd use it for personally, well done Google
for doing something which actually appears to be solidly useful for
proper programers outside the Googleplex!

	--Ben.