[clug] Measuring Bandwidth usage by Application Protocol

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Sun Nov 1 21:53:48 MST 2009

It's a little quiet on the list today. May be everyone's taking an
extended "Community Day" or something. Anyway, I'm looking at generating
some network usage statistics on an open network with a large number of
users. The data I'm looking to collect is

  Source IP
  Source Port
  Destination IP
  Destination Port
  Application Protocol
  Packets
  Octets
  Duration

of each session or flow on a 15 minute basis. NetFlow is close to giving
me with this, but lacks the application level protocol information that
I'm after. Any thought, or suggestions on how to collect this data?

Jeff.