[clug] forcing ntpdate timeout with no network

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Sun Nov 1 20:35:49 MST 2009

On 02/11/2009, at 14:19 , Ben Nizette wrote:

> The ntpdate "-t" switch supposedly controls timeouts but doesn't fix
> things in this case.  This switch value works fine if I've got a
> network
> but an invalid server address but doesn't work if I just have no
> network.

It's probably DNS getting stuck in this case.  In an ideal world,
you'd only run ntpdate if the system had an IP address and could
verify connectivity to it's DNS servers.

One option could be to remove ntpdate from the init scripts and run it
as part of the "up" scripts as defined in /etc/network/interfaces - on
the assumption that having configured the network means you'll have a
DNS server to talk to.

Alex