[clug] Nvidia based Laptops in the $1200-$2000 range

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sat May 30 10:48:04 GMT 2009

Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> I feel the pain, though.  Finding a graphics solution that doesn't suck
> is a universe of pain and suffering, and the open ATI drivers are not
> there yet.  Hopefully some time soon...

My Intel laptop works with open drivers, I didn't have to mess around
with it. 3D acceleration is... mediocre, but fault free. I doubt it will
drive an external monitor separately to the internal LCD. Next time I
buy I'll be looking for ATI or Intel. I'd call them free of pain and
suffering.

My media centre is nVidia 5200 or so, driving a TV out for my Sony CRT
that refuses to die and give me a good excuse to buy a new LCD. Sony CRT
is very very good (for a CRT) but the drivers for nVidia card cause me
pain. The open nv driver can't drive the TV out, and nVidia are stuck
between a rock and a hard place when it comes to supporting their closed
drivers. I hate it but I'm stuck with them and I'll never buy another
nVidia graphics card until their drivers are open. It's just not worth
it.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au