[clug] Nvidia based Laptops in the $1200-$2000 range

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat May 30 05:13:54 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> writes:
>>> Is there any manufacturer that I have missed in this range?
>>
>> No, but you have a Lenovo SL series machine in that list, which you
>> *don't* really want: while they carry the ThinkPad name they are not a
>> real thinkpad inside. :/
>
> Aye, no ThinkLight, no HDD shock sensor, poor ACPI support under linux
> (so far) for thermal/fan etc. Problem is the new T400 and T500 series
> are ATI based. :(

The T61p I have is fairly nice, and all well supported.  It has either
an Intel or NVIDIA graphics chip.  I ended up with NVIDIA, even though I
would have preferred the Intel chip, but I prefer open drivers to fast
3D support. :)

I feel the pain, though.  Finding a graphics solution that doesn't suck
is a universe of pain and suffering, and the open ATI drivers are not
there yet.  Hopefully some time soon...

Regards,
        Daniel