[clug] Beginners' CLUG & Install Fest - website at last

Ben Coughlan ben.coughlan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:50:22 GMT 2009

On 29/05/2009, at 12:03 AM, Sunnz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some weird hardware that I have no idea of how to get any OS on
> it. One is a Cobalt Qube: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_Qube

What kind of OS were you hoping to install?

> It has some weird old version of Red Hat on it, it uses some sort of
> 64-bit MIPS processor, I think it need to use a serial console to
> install a new OS, which I have no ideas how to do but very interested
> to see how it is done!! ;)

Off the top of my head; this would involve running your installer/boot
disk in a headless mode, and redirecting the console output to the
serial port with a command like:

console=ttyS0

at your boot prompt.

Then just open the other end of your serial cable using gtkterm or
hyper terminal.

Of course it all depends greatly on what you're trying to install and
how it's been prepared.