[clug] Has anyone got a recent nVidia card working multi-resolution?

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 22 10:45:47 GMT 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 09:01:29AM +1000, Andrew Janke wrote:
> > Thanks for that. Yes I know it's the FOSS driver and I'm attempting to build the
> > driver from the NVidia web site - do you know if it'll work better?
>
> Well you certainly will get the higher resolutions that you want. The
> nv driver is somewhat limited in this regard.
>
> > I say attempting because it very cleverly detected that I'd upgraded to gcc-4.2
> > from gcc-3.3 after building the kernel which I thought was pretty impressive. I
> > trimmed too much with make xconfig and my latest attempt doesn't boot - but I'll
> > get there.
>
> Hrm, so what is the error when you try to build the nvidia module from
> the nvidia website?  I am guessing that you have already installed the
> kernel headers from the kernel version that you are running?

The ncurses-based dialogue started by NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run tells me
about the problem (sorry but I would have to stop X to try it again). I'm quite
happy to build a kernel, just kept going until past my bedtime last night :-/

kernel headers? I have a whole kernel source that I'm configuring and building -
that should be enough shouldn't it?

Cheers ... Duncan.