[clug] Booting without a bootloader & alternatives to /init

Francis James Whittle fudje at grapevine.net.au
Thu May 21 04:45:43 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 09:41 +1000, Robert Edwards wrote:
> Advantages: saves lots of memory and boots _really_ fast...
> Disadvantages: kernel upgrade takes on a whole new meaning...

To this end I believe the preferred method of loading from boreboot is
to use GRUB as the payload and load your Linux kernel from a mass
storage device (such as hard disk or compact flash).

That said, using normal methods to upload a new [pre-packaged] kernel to
the FLASHROM is no harder than your usual BIOS upgrades, and carries
exactly the same risks.