[clug] [OT] 1.6Tb on Optical Disk: gold nanotubes from Swinburne University of Technology

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu May 21 04:21:03 GMT 2009

Ben Coughlan wrote:
> I'd be pretty happy having my backups archived on 1600GB of optical
> media costing $2 a piece.  Scratches are nothing redundancy can't
> solve.  Assuming of course, that the price will be similar to today's
> optical media.

I agree. I can't see how semiconductor manufacture can ever compete
cost/bit with optical media - there are simply so many more process
steps involved, including bonding the chip and mounting it on a PCB
or other carrier. One 1600GB optical disk is gonna cost a whole lot
less than 100 x 16GB microSD cards no matter who manufactures them.

> It'll also make distributing box sets a bit easier,  I'm sure you could
> fit 200 episodes of Top Gear in ultra high definition on one of those.

200 episodes? I have a lot of catching up to do - I think I would
have seen less than 50 so far...

Bob Edwards.