[clug] [OT] 1.6Tb on Optical Disk: gold nanotubes from Swinburne University of Technology

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Thu May 21 03:51:57 GMT 2009

Hi Andrew

On 21/05/2009, at 12:48 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:44, steve jenkin
> <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
>> 1.6Tb on Optical Disk
>
> Or:
>
>   "How to loose even more data with a single scratch"

Ack that.

I don't see the point of going higher density for opticals.

With solid state storage the way it has developed, it can replace CDs
and DVDs.
Cost is somewhat of a factor, but only because of DRM; technically, I
could walk into the local video store, rent/purchase 3-4 DVD
electronically and get a copy onto a tiny 16GB microSD that's smaller
than my pinkynail, and stroll home.
I could get the same online but with current bandwidth the stroll to
the shop can make sense (good old sneakernet).

At home I can have TB storage for a few hundred $, much easier to
handle than mucking around with scratchy disks.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Affordable Training and ProActive Support for MySQL & related

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org