Fw: [clug] lists.samba.org certificate

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Tue May 19 14:47:11 GMT 2009

Paul,

I am using a PC running Windows XP SP-3. I have two browsers installed:

   1. Firefox 3.0.10 (my default browser) and it gives the errors I
      posted before.
   2. Internet Explorer 8 and it initially gave me a warning message
      about a faulty or incorrect certificate, I chose to ignore the
      warning and it took me to the correct pages.

I also have a laptop running Ubuntu 9.01 and it uses Firefox 3.0.10 and
has the same problem as Firefox on the Windows PC. The exact error page is:

Secure Connection Failed

lists.samba.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is
not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. (Error code:
sec_error_unknown_issuer)

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could
be someone trying to impersonate the server.
* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the
error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

Or you can add an exception…

You should not add an exception if you are using an internet connection
that you do not trust completely or if you are not used to seeing a
warning for this server.

Adding an exception cures the problem. Perhaps it might be best if the
webmaster removes the security certificate or gets one that's up-to-date.

Regards,
Peter
--
*Peter Anderson*
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to