[clug] Ubuntu 8.1 on Toshiba Tecra black screen problem]

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Mon May 18 20:13:37 GMT 2009

>> Hal, I'm interested in the unjamming you accomplished with IBM magic
>> firmware keys, though I don't know if Toshiba has anything like that...

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now.

On the IBM thinkpad  Fn + F3, Fn + F4 & Fn + F7 do magic things. Turn
off the screen backlight, send the box to sleep and do something with a
second monitor attached respectively.
My backlight was out accross reboots, regardless of FC10, knoppix or
NetBSD being booted. Mashing Fn + F3 while in the bios magically brought
it back to life where, touch wood (he says knocking his head) it has
been ok since.

ACPI is dark, nasty magic that I don't understand involving turing
complete forth interpreters in the kernel and other such hideousness and
can be pretty painful.
I notice acpitool has a --Toshiba switch which will "show supported
Toshiba ACPI extensions (LCD brightness level, video out routing, fan
status)."
I'd definitely have a bit of prod there before cracking the case, but
that's me, soldering irons scare me silly. :) perhaps some variant on
% sudo acpitool -l 7
will do something useful for you. I think it's at least possible that
some bug in the hideous acpi stack has blanked your monitor by setting
something non-volatile that needs to somehow be reset. The fact that you
do get some kind of light out of the thing for a brief instant makes me
suspicious of the hardware failure diagnosis - but hey, I've been wrong
about things I've been more confident about than that.
I wish I could be more use to you.

One option might be to post your extensive and carefully written
descriptions to a kernel acpi mailing list and just ask "Does this sound
like a hardware fault or something you might have seen in your travels
and know how to prod effectively?" Those hackers have seen a hell of a
lot of laptops. Occasionally they have the reputation of being a bit,
um, how to put this, maybe "abrupt" is the right word. I doubt they
would be with regards a question with a genuine attempt to include all
the right info the way you seem to do it. Just don't take it personally
if they say something like:
"Hardware fault, goodbye." That info is still just as useful as if
they'd been more polite about it. Maybe I'm being prejudiced and they're
nothing but charm and kindness.

Best of luck.
Hal