[clug] Ubuntu 8.1 on Toshiba Tecra black screen problem]

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:34:15 GMT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 06:29:34PM +1000, doris ann wrote:
> Thank you to Lana, Bob, Hal, Matt, Andrew.
>
> In answer,
> Andrew, I checked resolutions for monitor - seems ok.
> Matt, I checked wires to lcd - nothing pinched or broken - all ok.
> Bob, LCD is black all of the time - nothing at power up, nothing in
> response to <Ctrl><Alt><F1>/<F7>. I'm using an external monitor.
> There's not even a few seconds of washed out red as before.
> Lana, I have had the laptop since Feb2007, so it is out of warranty, and
> yes, the problem seems likely to be the lcd.
> Hal, I'm interested in the unjamming you accomplished with IBM magic
> firmware keys, though I don't know if Toshiba has anything like that...
>
> Further -
> I tried to remove the back cover on my laptop to see if there were any
> lose connections on the mainboard, and I had hoped to reseat video cards
> - but a laptop is certainly a different construction to a desktop. It
> looks somewhat like two boards sandwiched together with various very
> short cables and connections between them. I stopped and reassembled
> everything without being able to get to check the video cards and any
> other possible lose connections.
>
> I have just finished a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop to rule
> out any software induced problems that might have contributed to the
> black screen.
>
> Anyway, after all that, I still have a black screen on my laptop. So, I
> reluctantly accept Lana's advice that it probably IS an LCD failure.
>
> At least I know the signal is getting through to the LCD because it
> still shows a dim image when a bright light is shone directly into the
> lcd. And I know the problem is NOT the inverter, because I replaced that
> already with no improvement.
>
> So, reluctantly I have to face a hardware repair - a replacement lcd. It
> is hard to accept because the laptop has not had rough treatment.

You may not need to replace the entire LCD display. Failed backlights
are common enough that there are a sites/pages around the place which
describe how to install white LEDs to function as a backlight. Given
that your LCD still displays what you're expecting when you shine a
light on it, I suspect that it is just a problem with the backlight.
If you are comfortable (or can get help from someone who is) check out
some "lcd led backlight replacement" tutorials.

Here's one to get you started:
http://bobdavis321.blogspot.com/2008/10/ve-170-monitor-repair.html