[clug] Group buy for Jennic Zigbee modules

Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Fri May 15 08:49:08 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

I'm going to be ordering some Zigbee modules for my home automation project
- does anyone else want some?

I am ordering the Jennic JN513-Z01-M00R1
http://www.jennic.com/products/modules/jn5139_modules

The current price is $40 each (you will want at least 2 modules), but I may
be able to bring that down if enough people are interested.

For comparison, the Xbee modules are $52.50 at www.microzed.com.au.

The interface to the PC is via RS232 (TTL, so you'll need to level shift to
3.3V or hack a USB to serial cable), and the modules have a lot of cool
stuff onboard:
	21 GPIO lines
	2 wire support
	SPI support
	16MHz MIPS based CPU
	96kB of RAM!! (huge for a microcontroller)
	4 analog to digital converters
	2 digital to analog converters
	Built in temperature sensor
	27mA current drawn when not sleeping (Xbee pulls 50mA)

The really nice thing about the Jennic modules is that the microcontroller
is completely under developer control - they provide the Zigbee stack and an
SDK, and your app runs directly on the module (rather than having to use a
separate microcontroller). The SDK can be downloaded from
http://www.jennic.com/jennic_support/software/ (Win32, but since it's a
standard GNU toolchain, it shouldn't be too hard to get it going under
Linux).

Cheers,

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
skype: alastair_dsilva     msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org