[clug] Ubuntu 8.1 on Toshiba Tecra black screen problem

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:26:11 GMT 2009

2009/5/15 doris ann <doris at pcug.org.au>

> Hi. I'm new to this list.

Welcome!

> Can anyone offer some suggestions on this problem with my laptop, please?
>
> Problem summary:
> no backlight on laptop, black screen, no response to live cd, no change to
> new inverter, it is running an external monitor ok
>
> Details:
> I'm new to Ubuntu, installed 8.1, and it was running for a couple of
> months before this black screen problem occurred.

Thanks for such a detailed email, you've done a great job, and it definitely
helps us work out where the problem might be.

I'm no expert, but from what you're saying, my call would be a dead LCD
screen. I don't believe that the changes you have made could have caused
this issue, and given that the external display works, it seems as though
the video card and drivers are all OK. It looks as though you've done most
reasonable checks and eliminated the obvious (and some not so obvious!)
issues. How old is the machine? Can you contact Toshiba for a warranty, or
if it's too old, a replacement LCD panel? (I'm not sure how easy the LCDs
are to replace on the Toshibas, I've never attempted it, but they should be
able to advise you).

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

<snip>

Cheers,
Lana

--
Cheers! Lana

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not
unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands
of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what
we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
 - Richard Feynman

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.