[OT] Hot Water Services (was Re: [clug] 24" LCDs)

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue May 5 01:15:27 GMT 2009

Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> writes:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>> I ??? instant hot water heaters, and they are cost-identical to bulk
>> storage systems from my pricing.

Tsk, tsk.  Your mailer corrupted my nice UTF-8 characters. ;)

> Mine cost more to install than an electric or gas storage system but
> it's way cheaper to run.

That used to be my experience, but the purchase price in the recent
round of advertising we got put them cost-equivalent.  Was the cost of
installation higher, or was it just the unit itself?

> I really wanted to go solar, but they're cost prohibitive compared to
> just about any other system and they require a secondary heating
> system anyway for cloudy days.

*nod*  I confess, given unlimited money I would put solar storage on the
outside of the "instant" system.  Often, that is what you get.

>> The older systems had a tendency to need to run cold for a minute or
>> two before they delivered heat, though, because the only mechanism to
>> start it warming was to run the tap.
>
> The gas starts burning as soon as the water flows. It takes less than
> ten seconds for hot water to come out after turning on the tap,
> compared with maybe three or four with the old storage system.

Ah, nice.  The last time I used one was in a rental house ten years
back, and ... well.  We paid $80 a week in rent for the place, and we
were probably overpaying.  So, it is nice that they are not that bad.

> The water isn't quite as hot either, only 50C instead of 70 or 80C. I
> haven't measured how much water I'm wasting, but between the grey
> water system and the rain water tank I think I make up for it.

*nod*  I mostly figured it was worth people thinking about, not that it
was going to happen.  But, you know, if you don't ask...

> Are we off topic yet?

Regards,
        Daniel