[clug] Hot water systems (was Re: 24" LCDs )

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue May 5 00:36:57 GMT 2009

On 04/05/2009, at 22:33 , Sam Couter wrote:

> The water isn't quite
> as hot either, only 50C instead of 70 or 80C. I haven't measured how
> much water I'm wasting, but between the grey water system and the rain
> water tank I think I make up for it.

I'm pretty sure that 50C is the standard these days[1], to avoid
people accidentally scalding themselves with water hot enough to wash
dishes in. Nevermind that some lovely friendly bugs such as Legionella
love temperatures in the 35-45C range, but can't stand water hotter
than 55C[2]. Most instant hot water systems will let you install a 55C
controller in the kitchen.

My cynical self is wondering whether the folks recommending colder
"hot" water had shares in Dishlex. Then again, who is going to police
the water temperature?

Alex

[1] Australian Standard AS 3500.4, 1997
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionella