[clug] Re: Using a forum system for CLUG

Nemo Thorx wombat at nemo.house.cx
Mon May 4 18:06:08 GMT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 07:37:36AM +1000, David Schoen did utter:

> The email-to-forum gateway idea has been growing on me, would you mind
> sharing what sort of problems you're referring to though?

Curiously, the email list vs forum vs usenet discussion is one that has
occupied my mind in the past. Only a few weeks ago I wrote up the bare
bones summary as I saw it, and what sort of solution might be viable.
Write up is on my wiki - feel free to pitch in anyone:
http://wiki.thorx.net/wiki/Forum

Problem with gateways seems to be that one frontend (web/email/etc) is
"native", and the others are translations, making all other frontends
clumsy workarounds.

A ground-up rebuilding which divorced frontend from backend could (and
I stress that that is a 'c' could, not a 'w' would) go a long way to
solving this.

Or maybe it'd be the worst of all worlds?
Or am I reinventing a wheel that has been invented, but not rolled past
me yet?

.../Nemo