[clug] OT: heat pump

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Mon May 4 11:30:21 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 00:55 +1000, bnc wrote:
> Fred,
> I have just installed a Siddons Solarstream last week.
> Just be aware that heat pumps do not work too well in cold weather.
> There is a solution though.
> You will need to see mine to check it out.
> Brian
>
> Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> > Fred Pilcher wrote:
> > | Thanks for the comments, guys. Now begins the fun of hoofing it
> > round | the shops looking at shiny toys.
> > | I'll let you know what I get, if anything. I decided to replace the
> > | electric water heater with a heat pump jobbie yesterday, so that may
> > | take precedence. ;-)
> > Hi Fred,
> > I'd love to hear any details on this that you'd favour us with. <...>
> > Paul

Wow. Lots of great minds with the same ideas, it appears. I'm just
starting the process of investigating our options along these lines too,
as our current hot water system has decided its easing into retirement
by changing to a luke-warm water system.

I'd love any comments/feedback people have.

Brian, curious to know your solution. I did consider putting heat pump
unit up in our roof space next to the (gas) central heating unit to get
around the winter problem, but I'm not keen on that because I suspect
the noise will be noticeable (and it will probably cook during summer).

The other options would seem to be the Quantum or Dux systems, both of
which are supposed to work down to -10, whereas the Solarstream says it
only works down to -5 and the Rheem system only down to 0!

Conrad.