Using a forum system for CLUG (was Re: Fw: [clug] Flirting Techniiques For Men (Paul Wayper))

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:28:02 GMT 2009

2009/5/3 Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>

>   http://groups.google.com/
>
> As far as I can see it solves all the issues on both sides.  I think
> there is even a re-mail type service so that you can leave the
> existing list as it is and have google groups mirror everything.

I spent a bit of time yesterday googling and playing with things. Another
option that's similar is http://mail2forum.com/ . The only problem is that
stable support is for phpBB2 and m2f v2 deserves it's alpha label (I spent a
while playing with it and I could only get mailman -> phpbb3 working, not
the other way around).

If I can either get m2f v2 to function sanely or the m2f guys release a
newer version any time soon I should be able to setup a phpBB3 forum that
seamlessly integrates with the current mailman list (it should at least
require no alterations to the current mailman setup).

Sam Couter:
| Some young upstart wanted a web forum, the older and wiser people said it
| won't work but feel free to set it up and see if anyone uses it. So the
| upstart created a forum and invited everyone to use it.
|
| So now... there's a deserted web forum that nobody uses and the same old
| low-traffic mailing list is where the discussion happens. I predict a
| similar outcome here.

I may be some "young upstart" but I don't intend to try to get people to use
a solution they don't want to. If I can't get mailman/forum integration
working the way people are requesting, I'll drop it. It's only my time I'm
losing by trying though so I can't really see a problem with this point.

Dave.