Using a forum system for CLUG (was Re: Fw: [clug] Flirting Techniiques For Men (Paul Wayper))

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sun May 3 12:57:15 GMT 2009

Steven Hanley <sjh at svana.org> wrote:
> I also have been ignoring this thread so far but feel like chiming in.

Me too.

> It seems to me that forums never work with the majority of free software
> hacker types. Though maybe that is because I have simply avoided going near
> any forums in the last 15 years.

I hate them too.

Anyway, I watched this exact same discussion play out on the talk-au OSM
mailing list around 12 months ago. The arguments for each side were almost
identical: Low barrier to entry, loss of support for tools to process
large volumes of information, push vs pull, RSS, no choice of user
interface, mailing lists are archaic and unfriendly and Web 2.0 is the
New Hotness, etc.

Some young upstart wanted a web forum, the older and wiser people said it
won't work but feel free to set it up and see if anyone uses it. So the
upstart created a forum and invited everyone to use it.

So now... there's a deserted web forum that nobody uses and the same old
low-traffic mailing list is where the discussion happens. I predict a
similar outcome here.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au