Using a forum system for CLUG (was Re: Fw: [clug] Flirting Techniiques For Men (Paul Wayper))

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sat May 2 12:11:19 GMT 2009

    Ben> I would be quite happy to see a forum style message board, I
    Ben> find the mailing list idea a bit archaic.  My personal
    Ben> favorite is phpBB.  It's very easy to setup, administer and
    Ben> customize, and addresses most of the issues you've been
    Ben> discussing.

I've only noticed this discussion quite late, so this post gives me a
chance to register an opinion...  :-)

I prefer mailing lists to forums/message-boards.  I like my messages
to come to me instead of me having to make time to go to them.  I know
that forums will send notifications when new messages are
posted... but then you get an email and have to go the forum to reply.

I think the most likely answer is that the mailing list isn't going to
go away.  It has existed in one form or another for about 15 years and
it works well for most people.

I guess there's a chance that a splinter group might go off and use a
forum... but not everyone will follow...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin